Neil Rajah is the first project where I tried to use ProGuard. The initial setup took some trial and error, but some Google searches mostly sorted that out. I had entries in the config file for libGDX, Mobclix, Flurry, most of the important libraries that I use. The game’s been out for a month, and no one’s really reported major problems.
I’ve always had a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that maybe my game is crashing all over the place, and I’m just not getting to know about it. But ACRA was working, I got crash reports when I was debugging the game, so I put that down as paranoia. I never got any ACRA crash reports from the field, and didn’t really give that much thought. You can probably see where this is going…
Yesterday, on a whim, I thought about checking crash reports on Flurry. And that confirmed my fears – my game has been crashing, and ProGuard had optimized out ACRA, so I wasn’t getting any crash reports from my release build. Awesome. I was working on an update anyway, so I thought, what the heck, I’ll just disable ProGuard, I’m not sure it’s really buying me that much anyway. Big mistake. Big big mistake.
Continue reading »